It has been way too long since Neon Microcosm got an update (almost 3 years), so I decided to do a complete refresh. I rewrote it using shaders that draw each cell in one pass with one texture lookup, instead of three passes like it used to with the OpenGL ES 1.0 fixed function pipeline. With the fill rate savings, we can afford to draw enlarged background blur, which looks more like bokeh.
I also added a animated, bump mapped background that fits in better with the depth-of-field look. And I dropped in the optional post-processing effects from Lifeblood (scan lines, vignette, and film grain). Here’s a before-and-after comparison.